Monday, May 2, 2016

Hello, stranger-friend


IMG_2806.jpg 

Nice to virtually meet you. My name is Taylor, and I’m on the verge of graduating with a bachelor’s in Comparative Literature and Film. So my opinions on writing/media are infinitely more important than yours, obviously.

Ask any poor soul who has sat through a movie with me, I’m opinionated. As a writer and hopeful filmmaker, these opinions are more than me indulging in the pleasure of hearing my own voice; they are how I understand and appreciate the entertainment around me. The good stuff gives me goosebumps and I won’t shut up about it for days. The bad stuff is wonderful to pick apart and makes me scream to the heavens “why?!”.

We are all extremely influenced by the media we consume, so it is important to be critical of it. It’s also just as important to celebrate the good in it as to be mindful of the bad. I just think it’s important to engage with all this media instead of letting it wash over us.
My partner has challenged me not to be passive in my criticisms, but think about what I would have done differently. This has pushed me to see the good in the bad, and has offered me an opportunity to create a something new, something that I find meaningful out of what was, on the surface, sometimes painful to watch.

Conversations and debates are how I grow. They challenge me to think differently and gracefully accept that I may have been proven wrong, or they present me with an opportunity to make a compelling argument to support my opinion. Feel free to comment (kindly) on any of my posts if you feel I have missed a crucial mark. This blog isn’t about me trying to show the world that I know what I’m doing, it’s a way for me to hone my critical skills in a space that I can totally attach to a job application.

Hope your day is full of sunshine,
Tay

No comments:

Post a Comment