Monday, July 25, 2016

About Me: an update

No longer a wide-eyed, youthful student of literature, I have graduated. Now my wide eyes burn with computer vision syndrome from my first big-girl job.

I've transitioned from soft Carolina to raging Devils blue, working in the development department at Duke University. It's a great place to be, and I'm very excited to get the experience. 

I moved from a belovedly sloppy abode to a crooked apartment in a hundred+ year old home with a deliciously inexpensive taco truck down the block where I have eaten most nights since living there. My love interest/housemate has been working nights, so I have taken to reading at the gym and obsessively cleaning the house around midnight. 

The search for an affordable camera is a painful one. I had to be held back from investing a couple hundred dollars on a beautiful ten year old camera that I found on Craigslist, catch is that it records on tape. I know I could make films on my iPhone, but I really don't have any projects in mind right now. I want to learn the tools, and carrying around a camera makes me feel more confident in looking like a dumbass trying to get the framing I want. I feel like Garp in World According to Garp when he decides that he will write, but then spends a year not writing, just absorbing BUT THEN he does become a writer. Okay, it's a fictional story, but whatever. 

Because of the aforementioned computer vision syndrome, I have been avoiding movies and television lately, reading more in the past week than I have in the past two months. I'm an avid reader when I'm in the zone. If I get around to it I may do some book posts here. I want to put a little more effort into these posts, I'm not super proud of them up to this point. I have to keep reminding myself that that is okay, I'm trying to learn how to write thoughtfully and create meaningful content that is still of the standard I am striving for. We'll see how it goes. At this rate, I'll pop back in two months from now. 

Sending sunshine your way.



No comments:

Post a Comment