Monday, July 25, 2016

Seinfeld

Never had I ever seen a full episode of Seinfeld until recently. Like many Americans, I became hooked. It is a great show, except for Jerry, who I hate.

Reasons why I hate Jerry Seinfeld's character in Seinfeld in a bad way, not because I am supposed to:

  1. That smirk. Nobody smirks like Jerry smirks, and no matter what is happening in the show, he has a trace of an awful grin on his face. 
  2. He tells jokes with the breathing room and build up for laughter. He's a comedian in the show, but he is also a character. The others believe their characters, Jerry makes his a joke. It's funnier when I believe, and I can't believe if Jerry doesn't.
  3. Jerry has nothing to him. Kramer is brilliant--he is full and vibrant, confusing, but developed. George has complex feelings of self-loathing and self-inflation. Elaine is a total judgy gossip who is just trying to get by. What does Jerry have to offer, really? Besides that dumb smirk. He bores me to tears.
Elaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and Kramer (Michael Richards) are both truly talented and wonderful in their roles. They believe everything that comes out of their mouths, and in that moment they are their character. I love that.

I watched episode one after I started in the middle. That first episode is so flat and painful to watch. I hated every minute of it, turning it off before the episode ended, unable to bear another second. It is amazing how the writing was adapted, the pacing reworked, how those involved turned something awful into something really great, a classic. I admire that adaptability.

For the record, I'd fuck Kramer, marry Elaine, and kill Jerry.

No comments:

Post a Comment