Friday, August 12, 2016

Jessica Jones (2015-)

I'm late on this, I know. But good gracious, is Jessica Jones shitty.

Screenshot from trailer
People love it. I loved it. Or rather, I got sucked in despite what I didn't like about it. At first, the show appeared interesting: we have a female superhero as a lead, and a plot that places emotional abuse as central, and in a way that is easily accessible to those who may not understand the complexity of such situations.

It had some cheese, some overdone dramatics--but it was engaging, addicting even. I spent days marathoning this show (something that isn't common for me), and it was great. Until it wasn't anymore.

I get this most frustrated with things that are bad, but have potential to be great. The failure of such shows/movies/books to reach their potential fuels my anger. This show had a lot going for it, until it spluttered, if I remember correctly about 3/4 of the way into the series, when all hell breaks lose. Sometimes--nay, oftentimes--less is more. David Tennant, "Kilgrave" (ugh, that name), started off as an interesting illustration of an abuser. Please excuse me if it sounds like I am taking abuse lightly. I do not. Kilgrave's superpower to control is interesting, a way of turning a psychological manipulation of the real world into an almost physical one in the show. It is cruel, and it is near impossible to defend against, leading to danger and often death.

Screenshot from trailer

Kilgrave went from that, to a crazy experiment-gone-wrong. Why is this a BIG problem? It simplifies abuse. It simplifies the cause. Yes, abuse can lead to abuse. But this is not always the case, and this is always what seems to be portrayed in media. They could have easily created a story of a man with the power to control, growing up realizing he can do this and never understanding why he shouldn't, and he grows with this power of getting his way. That, I would say, is oftentimes the reality: people don't usually realize they are abusers, sometimes don't realize they are being abused. How many times in the real world are people abusive for far more complex reasons, and abuse in much more complex ways? Why doesn't the show choose this, far more real and far more interesting route? A route that can explore gender and power, among other things, and how our society functions on a core level?

Also, Jessica Jones is supposed to be a super hero but we barely see her doing anything that I would call "super". And what about the relationship between her and Trish relationship, and Trish's not at all subtly abusive mother? Again, painting things so pointedly can detract from a clear understanding of the murkiness of abuse. Also, what was going on with her boyfriend? Why was that plotline necessary?

I also hate flashbacks, because they are rarely used well and are almost always a way to explain a character simply, quickly, painlessly. It is a cheap character development tool.

Screenshot from trailer
I have so many questions I would like to ask the creators. What was with the annoying support group that made seeking help and support look silly compared to Jessica's riskiness? What was with the product placement--she get that she's into whiskey. What happened to Luke Cage? He was one of the best elements in the show and then he faded out! Apparently though, he is getting his own spin-off show (according to an IT colleague who came by to help me with computer issues as I blogged intensely about this on break at work, who I ranted to about all of this at a decibel too loud for an office). Good, maybe it will be better than Jessica Jones.

This is just the tip of my commentary, mind you. I dare you to marathon this with me now.

Watch the trailer here




No comments:

Post a Comment