Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Tangerine (2015)

Screenshot from trailer 
This is one of my absolute favorite movies. I say this upfront to prepare for a mostly excited, positive review.

What's so great about this movie? That's a question that, from my experience, would come from someone who hasn't seen it. Though today, IMDb has it rated just barely above a 7 our of 10.

First of all, this plot is unique. A woman gets out of jail, finds out that her boyfriend has been cheating on her, and goes on a flying rage down the L.A. streets to find him. To get into her demographic deets, the woman is a black, transgender prostitute. To get into his, he is a white pimp. Surely this is not the norm we have grown to know in films! This plot is woven into a plot about a taxi driver who, though married to a woman, has an extra curricular interest in some of the nontraditional prostitutes.

The camera---oooh am I a sucker for good camerawork. You give me good camerawork filmed on an iPhone? Well, shoot, should we just go to bed together now? Seriously. The whole iPhone thing is a big hit to viewers and critics alike. The camera on recent iPhones is pretty great, especially for a phone, sure, but this type of cinematography takes skill to capture on a camera made for this work. We won't even go into how the toggles and tools on an iPhone are certainly not made for easy filmmaking.
Screenshot from trailer

The acting/script combo? So good. This is a comedy, mind you, but not the kind of comedy that makes fun of the out-of-norm characters. It watches like an in-joke, not an out-joke. Sin-Dee (Kitana Kiki Rodriguez) is especially hilarious, but if I were going to go through everyone's acting, I would end up just listing names and saying "ugh so GOOD". I'm also pretty certain that Kitana isn't a professional actor, either.

This is actually a terrible review because all I want to do is say "ugh, so good" to every bullet point I have on it. It's like the opposite of  my MEDG review.

I really enjoy this movie for its sharp acting, writing, and cinematography. I enjoy the roller coaster of events. The realness that is not diminished by its exaggerated comedy. The first time I watched it, I was with friends. I had plans to hang with my boyfriend when it was finished, and immediately went to his house and told him that we have to watch this movie, now. So I watched the same movie twice in one night, back-to-back.
Screenshot from trailer

A man temporarily teaching a recitation for one of my intro film courses (the husband of the woman who normally taught, a man who I found to be an annoying try-hard who was a little too proud of his Ivy League education, though kind and amiable) asked if films ever shocked us anymore; had we not seen it all? This question made me immediately think of this movie--sure, a lot of violence doesn't shock us, but this movie shocked me. It is unexpected because its story is not like the countless romcoms, fart-joke comedies, superhero films, quirky indie flicks, or intense action movies. It is a welcome digression from these norms.

Watch the trailer here



No comments:

Post a Comment